Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Rationalists


Before you continue on with Unit One, review this additional Georgia Performance Standard that you will address:

ELAALRL5 The student understands and acquires new vocabulary and uses it correctly in reading and writing.

5. Post the following to your blog: What new vocabulary have you used in this unit already? What do these new terms mean to you?

Another Mini-Lesson:

Why did Ben Franklin fly a kite in a lightning storm? Because he wanted to have an explanation for what lightning was; he didn't accept the Puritan notion that God was responsible for everything, and people were not supposed to concern themselves with such things. This was the prevailing idea of the 18th century (the 1700s) in America, sometimes called the Age of Reason, or the Age of Rationalism.

This philosophy started in Europe almost one hundred years before it became popular in America. You probably recognize names like Sir Isaac Newton, who used science instead of religion to explain gravity. Like Newton, Rationalists in America wanted to achieve order and explaination of the natural through science. People sought to become more educated in Mathematics, Astronomy, Botany, and Biology. Collecting fossils and plants, and peering into microscopes and telescopes became much more popular than studying the scripture.

It was during this time that many people's notion of God changed from the vengeful God in Johnathan Edwards' Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God, to a more humanitarian God. A popular religious movement of the time was Deism, which was a body of ideas that did not revolve around a church itself. It was a faith based on science and mathematics. Deists believed in God, but not as a power that controlled everything. They believed that God created the universe, but left it up to the people to figure out how to work it, or to figure out the natural laws.

Rationalist Men and Women also believed that human society was run by natural law. If people were able to discover and understand these laws, they would be able to improve their lives. While improvement was important to the Puritans, they pleaded with God for it, and the rationalists believed they could take a scientific approach to self-imporvement.

A Rationalist would believe that anything could be understood through science. Puritans thought this to be an insult to God since they believed humans had no business deconstructing God’s work. Think of the on-going debate over the theory of evolution, and you will have a pretty good picture of how the Puritans and the Rationalists differed.

Many of the doucments upon which our country was founded were penned by Rationalists. For instance, The Declaration of Independence makes reference to certain unalienable rights that everyone had. Puritans would have believed that God decided who had certain rights, and that some people did not have as many as others. It is interesting to see what happened to the men who signed the declaration.

Work Period:

5 (continued) -- add to your list of vocabulary now that you have read about the Rationalists. You should have around five new terms with your own definition for each.

6. Briefly (one good paragraph) describe the differences between the Puritans and the Rationalists. Please be careful not to repeat the same words you have read in this entry. Where in today's society do you see some of the ideas you have read about here represented?.  (Hint -- check this out, especially the comments section.)

7. Read the excerpt from The Autobiography by Benjamin Franklin in the red American Literature book. Pay special attention to the efforts Franklin made to improve his life.

Give one example from The Autobiography of how Franklin is a good example of a rationalist. Make sure you explain why, and provide an example straight from the text.

8. If you were to make a list of thirteen virtues to improve upon in your life, what would they be? List them the way Franklin did. There are a couple more good examples here. Do you think you could reach moral perfection in this way? Explain how you feel. This should be a paragraph or two.

Closing:

9. This unit has addressed the following Georgia Performance Standards:

ELAALRL1 The student demonstrates comprehension by identifying evidence (i.e., examples of diction, imagery, point of view, figurative language, symbolism, plot events and main ideas) in a variety of texts representative of different genres (i.e., poetry, prose [short story, novel, essay, editorial, biography], and drama) and using this evidence as the basis for interpretation.

ELAALRL3 The student deepens understanding of literary works by relating them to their contemporary context or historical background, as well as to works from other time periods.

please take a moment to specifically address how the work you did in this unit addresses these standards. You should provide evidence from your own work to illustrate what you claim.




96 comments:

Natasha said...

I have finished my first writing for independent reading

Natasha said...

Theres a copy of my rationalism paper in your drop box

~Mrs. Nash~ said...

I have completed the rationalist paper.

junior said...

i'm done with my rationlism.

Captain Jamal said...

I finished Rationalist.

_--♥ Andrea ♥--_ said...

I'm finished with ratiionalists
---Andrea

OnlyLezM said...

I've finished the Rationalists

kayla_pooh89 said...

i finished the 2nd lit project.

OnlyLezM said...

I posted the rationalists paper on my blog now

Jesseca said...

i'm finished with the rationalists

jasmine said...

I finished my second journal for my reading.

jasmine said...

I'm finish with the rationalist so you can check it now.

jasmine said...

I sent the new copy of my wirting one project to your email. 2/7/07

jasmine said...

i sent my wrting 2 two your email.

Jesseca said...

i made some changes to the rationists so go check it out

kayla_pooh89 said...

I think i added what you were looknig for.

Caleb said...

I've finished with the rationalist.

spenser said...

Im finish

anne of golden summer said...

Rationalists are done!

Ben Joiner said...

I've posted my rationalist paper Mr. Seigmund.

Todd Roberts said...

I've finished my Rationalist paper, it is on my blog.

raytron troy said...

I've finished my Rationalist paper

carson330 said...

I am finished with this project

Chitara Long said...

I think i am finish if you can take a look at it let me know if it's something i need to fix

Anthony FLOWE said...

im done with the rationalist

Miaka Edwards said...

Im done with my Rationalist paper

Amber Gaines said...

I am finshed with the rationalist paper.

Rodrica said...

Im finished with my Rationalists paper.

Miaka Edwards said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miaka Edwards said...

I went back and added my textual evdience to my rationalist paper like you said I should I hope I did the right thing.

Miaka Edwards said...

I went back and made the changes that you wanted

Rodrica said...

I've made the changes that you wanted me to make on the Rationalist paper.

Christian said...

I am finished with the Rationalist project

cyndee pangburn said...

Hey hey, I published my 4 paragraphs on Cotton Mathers.

Tony said...

Im finished

Jenise Burgess said...

I posted my rationalism paper.

Courtney said...

I posted my Rationalists project.
its in 3 different blogs.

^_^

marquez said...

Im done with my rationalist assignments

Morrigan Macabre said...

i'm done with my rationalist project it's in 1 whole blog in 4 different sections

marquez said...

Im done with my rationalist paper.

Anna said...

im finished

cyndee pangburn said...

hey hey mr.siegmund , I'm done with project one and two and I've posted the other requirments as well!

Yesenia_Salazar said...

Mr. Siegmund, I am done with the Rationalist -Yesenia Salazar.

ErinC said...

I am done with the rationalism

Pavis! said...

I have finished that paper

charlie sizemore said...

i am finished with this project

Unknown said...

Im finished

Jazmon Sims said...

I'm done with my rationalist project

Vic said...

Finished

*Autumn* said...

I have finished the rationalists assignments.

demetriusedwards said...

Im finish with the rationalist paper.

demetriusedwards said...

I finished my first writting for independent reading.

Victoria Slaboda said...

I think I'm done.
I also finished all the reading required for the semester.
Thanks for the positive feedback.

**Ms. Gomez** said...

I'm finish

STEVIE A.K.A. tha next wade said...

i finished my lit11 writing assignment.

JoLynn Nelson said...

Hey Mr. Siegmund, i did my lit project on the rationalist but its under my lit/comp 12 blog because i don't have a lit/comp 11.

But its finished.

Mercedes_Burriss said...

I'm done with Rationalist Mr. Sieg!!!

ryan said...

i posted the rationalist to my blog.

Michelle Snavely said...

i have finished the puritans and the rationalists

Anonymous said...

I have Finished the Rationalist and puritans

Johnathen Hall said...

Can you check my Rationalist.. i posted it

jasmineushistory said...

I have completed the rationalists paper.

Kylan Jones: Service Learning said...

I have finished this project.

laurababyyy said...

i finished this

Deylah said...

I am finished with the Rationalists! :)

Laurel said...

Im dont with the rationalist.

Roberto said...

I am done with the Rationalism

Laurel said...

I redid the puritans

jaquanclark said...

Done with Rationalist and Puritans.

Kardia said...

I'm done

Kardia Taylor said...

I'm done wit The Rationalist project

Krissy said...

I am finished with the unit one project.

jazzy said...

i am done with unit 1 jasmine hill

₪Tarawr ₪ Andrews₪ said...

Tarawr has completed unit one.=D

carlos Baires said...

Im done with Unit1 1 posted it

carlos Baires said...

Im done with Unit1 1 posted it

Sanetresa said...

Im Finished!!!!!

kevant said...

I Have Finished Unit Two Mr. Seigmund

doug said...

im done with rationalist

jazzie_jazz230 said...

im done mr.seigmund

Brandi said...

Mr siegumund i think im finish i may have to add some things to it but for right now i can't do anything else i really do not feel good :)

curtis said...

im done

Jacquavious said...

i'm done with unit one

Sanetresa said...

Im Finished!!!!

shuntavia said...

i finished sir!!

shuntavia said...

im done editing my post

Betty Renwick said...

im like totally finished!!!!

Rayven said...

im done

Benito said...

I'm Done

Jaquita Binns said...

I have completed the unit 1 project

phil said...

I am finished with UnitI

Red Steel said...

I am done with the unit 1 lit. project.

Chancie said...

im done with unit 1

Kayla said...

im done with unit one

LaDon-lit 10 said...

i am done with unit one project!!!!!

Unknown said...

finish with unit one....