Monday, March 05, 2007

The Renaissance -- Sonnets

The sonnet was the most accepted form of written art during the Renaissance. People loved them then, but today they can leave us scratching our heads. I was often confused by sonnets and their flowery language, but once I learned how to read them, they became much easier to understand.
.


IF YOU PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THIS POST, SONNETS WILL BE EASY FOR YOU TOO.




This will come in handy since you will be writing one of your own.


.




First, it would be important to define a sonnet as a fourteen-line poem composed in iambic pentameter. Iambic pentameter is the beat of the poem, and it essentially means that each line is made up of five pairs (penta) of syllables -- the first one unstressed, and the second one stressed. Here is an example of a line of iambic pentameter from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet:




But soft! What light through yonder window breaks?


But soft! - What light - through yon - der win - dow breaks?


.




Now imagine you are a poet writing a sonnet, and if you were a poet in the Renaissance, sonnets and plays (also written in a certain meter) were the only accepted forms of literature. Imagine how dificult it would be to choose words with exactly the right stress as well as number of syllables. You see, these poems weren't written the way they were just to give you a hard time.


.




Next, we need to talk about rhyme scheme. This is pretty simple. Check out my example below; it is one that may also help you with geometry:


.




Pythagoras had a good ruse (A)


With a rule just for triangles to use (A)


"Add the squares of each side," (B)


He said with some pride," (B)


That's the square of the hypotenuse!" (A)


.




The rhyme scheme of this poem is AABBA. All you have to do is look at the last word on each line. I start with ruse, and since it is the first line, I assign it an A. Then I look at use, and see that it rhymes with ruse, and so it is an A as well. Then I look at side, and see that it does not rhyme with ruse or use, so it is a B. Pride rhymes with side, so it is a B as well. At the end, when I see hypotenuse rhymes with ruse, it is an A. That makes the rhyme scheme ABBA.




It is important to understand rhyme scheme when reading a sonnet. If you pay close attention to the rhyme scheme, it can help you divide the poem into sections which will make it much easier for you to comprehend.


.




Let's look at an example of a sonnet from the two most popular sonateers, William Shakespeare and Edmund Spencer. These poets use two different rhyme schemes in their sonnets. Shakespeare uses a ABAB CDCD EFEF GG rhyme scheme, and Spencer uses ABAB BCBC CDCD EE. I will draw lines to show how the rhyme scheme divides the poem into four sections.


.




Sonnet 18


William Shakespeare




.


Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? (A)


Thou art more lovely and more temperate. (B)


Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May, (A)


And summer's lease hath all to short a date. (B)


___________________________________


Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines, (C)


And often is his gold complextion dimmed, (D)


And every fair from fair sometimes declines, (C)


By chance, or nature's changing course untrimmed. (D)


___________________________________


But thy eternal summer shall not fade, (E)


Nor lose possesion of that fair thou owest, (F)


Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade (E)


When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st. (F)


___________________________________


So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see, (G)


So long lives this, and gives life to thee. (G)


.






Sonnet 30


Edmund Spencer




My love is like to ice, and I to fire; (A)


How comes it then that this her cold so great (B)


Is not dissolved through my so hot desire, (A)


But harder grows the more I her entreat? (B)


________________________________


Or how comes it that my exceeding heat (B)


Is not delayed by her heart frozen cold, (C)


But that I burn much more in boiling sweat, (B)


And feel my flames augmented manifold? (C)


________________________________


What more miraculous thing may be told (C)


That fire which all thing melts, should harden ice, (D)


And ice which is congealed with senseless cold, (C)


Should kindle fire by wonderful device? (D)


________________________________


Such is the power of love in gentle mind, (E)


That it can alter all the course of kind. (E)


.




Post responses to the following questions on your blog:


.




1. Examine the difference between the rhyme scheme Spencer uses and the one Shakespeare uses. Explain the difference. Which one do you prefer? (If you are unable to give a good answer to this question, it is time to come talk to me.)


.


2. The rhyme scheme divides sonnets into four sections. The first section is a question asked from one point of view, the second is the same question asked from another point of view. The third section is called the turn. The turn is a shift in focus or the thoughts of the first two points of view. The last section is the conclusion. Use this method to explain the message in each of the four sections of the two poems above.


.


3. Choose one more of Shakespeare's sonnets as well as another one of Spencer's sonnets. You can find these all over the Internet. Post each poem on your blog then: a. Label the rhyme scheme like my examples; b. explain the message in each of the four sections like you did in question #2.


.


4. Come get an amatuer sonateer form from me, and then complete both sides.


.


5. When you have finished, post your completed sonnet on your blog.

SELF-EVALUATE YOUR WORK!



25 comments:

michelle said...

I have completed the Renaissance

Natasha said...

I'm done with the Renaissance it's on my blog.

PrInCeSs_JaLisa said...

Iam finished with my Renaissance.

Tiffany said...

I've completed the Renaissance

Brian said...

i have complete the sonnet activity.

Lester2007 said...

i've completed the Renaissance.

ATO said...

I'm done here

John Kelley said...

i have completed my masterpiece

ATO said...

READ ME!

anne of golden summer said...

sonnets are all written and reviewed

Purp Forces said...

Finished sonnet

Ryann said...

My Renaissance project are done. Thanks! Peace

~Mrs. Nash~ said...

I'm done with my sonnets!!!!!

Tiffani F said...

Tiffany Fountain is finish with her sonnents.

Brittany_m_smith89 said...

I am done

~Mrs. Nash~ said...

I have fixed my sonnents....HASTA LUEGO SENOR!!!!

jessica wymbs said...

hey mr Siegmund i'm like done with my work on the whole Renaissance project

Anna said...

im finished

Vic said...

I have finished this project

perezlit12 said...

I am done with project one for lit 12 (sonnets).

JoLynn Nelson said...

Hey Mr. Siegmund I finished my Sonnets post

JoLynn Nelson said...

i done with my lit project on the sonnets

BrItTaNy said...

hey...I decided that i am going to do the poetry project with the class... Thanks!!!

JoLynn Nelson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JoLynn Nelson said...

Hey Mr. Siegmund I fixed my sonnets project.