Wednesday, September 13, 2006

A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami -- pgs 102 -- 299

I finished this book last night, and I still say it was not as good as Kafka on the Shore, which I would highly reccomend to other people. I still like the way Murakami writes, and I kind of wish I could read his books in Japanese since I'm sure I'm missing a lot reading a translation.

This book is titled A Wild Sheep Chase because the main character has to track down a special sheep in the mountains of Japan to save the company he and a friend of his started. This sheep is magical in that it can inhabit people's bodies for years at a time. The political boss that has the main character on this search needs to find the special sheep because it has left his body, and now he is very ill. We also find out that the main character's best friend, a guy named The Rat was also inhabited by this special sheep.

There is a sequel to this book called Dance, Dance, Dance, and I will probably read that one too -- just not right away. Come to think of it, Kafka on the Shore was originally published as two books in Japan, and later turned into one for American markets.

No comments: