Thursday, September 07, 2006

A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami -- Pages 1 -- 101



I checked this book out of the Athens public library this week because this summer I very much enjoyed another one of Murakami's books, Kafka on the Shore. Murakami is one of the most popular authors in Japan, and his books have been translated into English since 1981. A Wild Sheep Chase was the first of his books to be translated and sold in the United States.

I am enjoying this book so far, but maybe not as much as Kafka on the Shore. The main character is a thirty-year-old man who has just gotten a divorce from his wife. He is pretty depressed and drinks too much until he meets a new girl who is an ear model. He enjoys the time he spends with his new girlfriend, and it seems to me that she will have some sort of magical powers before long. Murakami always uses plenty of magic and fantasy (for lack of better words; I really do not care for fantasy ficiton like The Lord of the Rings, etc.) in his other books. For instance, Kafka on the Shore had many talking cats.

The main character runs an advertising agency with one of his friends. In the last chapters I've read, a political boss is asking that they stop printing one of the pamphlets they produce. This is worrying the main character and his friend since this pamphlet is the biggest money-maker for their small company. The political boss wants them to stop publishing the pamphlet because of a picture of sheep. The picture seems to have some sort of magical powers . . . I'm sure I'll find out more about that later.

No comments: