Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Deliverance by James Dickey (278 pages)

In a way, I have lived with this book since the first time I went camping when one of my friends waited until it was extremely dark and quiet to ask, "has anyone seen Deliverance?". I had not seen the movie, nor read the book at that point, so I did not know what he meant. I had a feeling it was something spooky -- the kind of thing people try to scare each other with while camping. I let the whole idea pass . . . until he told me what happened in the movie.



I still have not seen the movie because I wanted to wait until I read the book which is set in the North Georgia Mountains, the very place my friends and I were camping that night. I enjoyed reading this book because the descriptions of the wilderness were very familiar to me since I grew up not far from where the book took place, and spent almost every weekend from the time I was 16 - 18 camping or hiking in the mountains. Aside from the setting, the book is certainly what I would call a thriller -- something that preys on whatever irrational fears you may have about the unknown. I'll leave it at that. That, and that the words "squeal like a pig" are not a part of the text.

No comments: