Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Restoration


The Renaissance was already over for the most part when King James I died in 1625, and his son Charles I took the throne. Charles was a terrible ruler, more like an invisible dictator than a king. By 1649, people were fed up with Charles, and during this year some the most powerful people in the kingdom had him beheaded. For the next eleven years England was ruled by the Parliment while the heir to the throne, Charles II was hiding in France.

In 1660, Charles II returned to the throne, which began a period of more normal and steady life for the English. In the time between the death of James I and the restoration of the crown, England was devistated by plague, damaged by a fire that left two thirds of London homeless, and had been in the grips of a civil war for twenty years. The country was exhausted. This new period which lasted until arounf 1800 is known as the Restoration -- a period when
people continued their quest for higher learning, art and philosophy.

Many people call this period "The Age of Reason" because many people began to turn to science to explain the mysteries of the universe that were precviously explained through religion. For those of you who remember the Rationalists from American literature, these periods were very similiar. Instead of asking why things happend, people started investigating how they happened. This included everything from astronomy to biology to physics. A philosophy called Deism. in which people believed God built the universe and then left it alone for people to run became more popular.

English writing went through a transformation as well. Instead of the flowery poetry of Shakespeare and his contemporaries, English writers began to adopt prose (prose = not poetry), a much simpler and planer form that was accessable to more people. New forms of writing like diaries, journals, newspapers, magazines, and novels became much more popular.

Please post the following to your blog:


1. Research The Glorious Revolution (sometimes called the Bloodless Revolution) online or in one of the textbooks. Write a paragraph summarizing what happened, and then another that explains why you think the event was so important.

2. Define "satire". Don't just copy and paste a definition from another source. Read the definition, and then explain it in your own words. Once you have done that, provide a few modern-day examples of satire (television shows, movies, magazines, etc.).

3. Read "A Modest Proposal", which may be difficult at first, but if you stick with it, the message will become more clear. Once you are finished reading, you should write a short response to what you read (4-5 sentences), and explain how this is a work of satire.

4. Read either "from the Diary of Samuel Pepys" or "from A Journal of the Plague Year" by Daniel Defoe, both of which can be found in the purple anthology. Once you have finished reading, write a 1-2 paragraph response to what you have read. Please be sure to include some direct evidence from the text to help show what you are responding to.

5. What do you think was most important to people living in this time? Write a 1-2 paragraph response to this question in which you use direct evidence from the texts you read to support whatever arguments you make.

46 comments:

John B said...

Im finished

jasmine said...

Mr. siegmund im finish with my restoration.

jasmine said...

mr siegmund can you leave me a comment about my restoration papar so that I can know whats wrong with it and I am finish with all my novanet. thank you!

michelle said...

I am finished with restoration

Natasha said...

I'm Finished with The Restoration

PrInCeSs_JaLisa said...

Mr. Siegmund iam finished.

Tiffany said...

I am done with the Restoration

manas winfield said...

I am done with the Restoration

Brian said...

I have completed the restoration and now await your review of my work.

ATO said...

I am done

Anonymous said...

im finished

Lester2007 said...

hey im done with the restoration.

John Kelley said...

hey im finished with the restoration.

Ryann said...

my restoration is currently on my blog. peace

anne of golden summer said...

I'm done with restoration.
this is november 07

~Mrs. Nash~ said...

Hye, Mr. Siegmund I'm done with restoration!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am finisheddddddd!!!!!!!

allie roberts said...

im donr mister siegmund

Brittany_m_smith89 said...

I am Finished

jessica wymbs said...

DONE WITH THE RESTOORATION

jessica wymbs said...

cHECK AGAIN PLEASE!!!!~

jessica wymbs said...

cHECK AGAIN PLEASE!!!!~

itzel said...

i finished the Restoration project

luishdz said...

hey i'm done with this project.

Ashley said...

Im finished with the Restoration project.

Chelsea said...

Mr. Siegmund,
I finished my Restoration project and also posted my first 3 hours of mentor logs.

Chelsea said...

Mr. Siegmund,
I finished my Restoration project and posted 7 hours and 45 minutes of mentor hours to my blog.

AlishaST said...

I Am Done With This PRoject

QualettaSmith said...

im finished

Anonymous said...

I finished the Restoration. It was fun.

ErinC said...

Finished!

Pavis! said...

I have posted The Restoration Project.

Shakena D. said...

I'm done with the Restoration!!!
Tell me what you think....

Vic said...

I'm finished with this project.

Morrigan Macabre said...

i'm finished with the assignment Mr. Sieg. I have put it in your dropbox so that u can check over it. Let me know when if there is anything i need to elaborate on or revise before i post it! ^_^

Anonymous said...

I'm finished with my Restoration Project

Anonymous said...

im finished with my Restoration Project

Anonymous said...

I think im done with Restoration, but please check over it to make sure everything is put together.

Vic said...

i added direct textual evidence to my project.

demetriusedwards said...

Im done with restoration can you check it.

Unknown said...

Im done check it out.

BrItTaNy said...

i went back and fixed restoration!

Anonymous said...

I went back into a modern proposal and added a little more evidence like you told me so when you get time can you go back and read it over for me once again thank you!

Josh Gilham said...

Im finished with the restoration. Check me out

Allie said...

I'm done with my Restoration project now too.

Anonymous said...

Finished with the restoration