Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Puritans


The Puritans:


To study the Puritans' literature, we must first understand who they were as people. The Purtitans' core beliefs were as follows:

Total Depravity - through Adam and Eve's fall, every person is born sinful - concept of Original Sin.

Unconditional Election - God "saves" those he wishes - only a few are selected for salvation.

Limited Atonement - Jesus died for the chosen only, not for everyone. Irresistible Grace - God's grace is freely given, it cannot be earned or denied. Grace is defined as the saving and transfiguring power of God.

Perseverance of the "saints" - those elected by God have full power to interpret the will of God, and to live uprightly. If anyone rejects grace after feeling its power in his life, he will be going against the will of God - something impossible in Puritanism.

You should read more here. You should also read more about the Puritans in an American Literature textbook.

For some more real fun, check out some of these Puritan names.

YOUR TASKS:
Read some of this excert of William Bradford's Of Plymouth Plantation . You do not necessarily need to start at the beginning; just find a section that appeals to you. When you are through, you should post the following to your blog:

1. Briefly summarize the Puritans' beliefs. This should be a paragraph or two.

2. Write a 4-5 paragraph response to the Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God and Of Plymouth Plantation. Explain your thoughts about how these people lived. Better responses will have some direct textual evidence to support what you say. You may want to review these texts before writing your response.

3. Choose two of the four beliefs at the beginning of this post of which you saw examples in Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God, or Of Plymouth Plantation. Provide these examples with direct textual evidence.

Continue with The Rationalists:

Do you want to make an "A" on this and your next literature projects? Grades of 93 and up will be reserved for those who complete a better project. Details here.


ELAALRL1
The student demonstrates comprehension by identifying evidence (i.e., examples of diction, imagery, point of view, figurative language, symbolism, plot events and main ideas) in a variety of texts representative of different genres (i.e., poetry, prose [short story, novel, essay, editorial, biography], and drama) and using this evidence as the basis for interpretation.

ELAALRL2 The student identifies, analyzes, and applies knowledge of theme in a work of American literature and provides evidence from the work to support understanding.

ELAALRL3 The student deepens understanding of literary works by relating them to their contemporary context or historical background, as well as to works from other time periods.

ELAALRL5 The student understands and acquires new vocabulary and uses it correctly in reading and writing.

ELAALRC2 The student participates in discussions related to curricular learning in all subject areas.

61 comments:

anne of golden summer said...

I have finished my paper on the Puritans. --saunders

raytron troy said...

I have finished my paper on the Puritans.

Ben Joiner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben Joiner said...

I've posted my analytical and puritan papers on my blog Mr. seigmund.

Todd Roberts said...

I have completed the Puritans assignment, It is on my Blog.

Miaka Edwards said...

I finished my assignment on the Puritans.I did my best.

Chitara Long said...

I did my project not sure if i did it correctly but if there is anything i missed let me know and i will go back and fix it.

Mike Johnson said...

I have finished my Puritan writing

Amber Gaines said...

i am finally finished with the puritans paper!!!!

julio said...

i finished my puritan post

Mike Johnson said...

I finished my Anylitical writing

alex said...

i have finished my puritans project.............

Miaka Edwards said...

I went back and made the changes you told me to make.

carson330 said...

I have completed this project

Amber Gaines said...

I have added what was missing to my puritans paper.

Chitara Long said...

im done but if there is something i need to fix let me know.

raytron troy said...

I have finished my paper on the Puritans. now

Chitara Long said...

i really need your help i cant understand how to do this project correctly

Chitara Long said...

I think im finish with puritans

Rodrica said...

im done with the puritans project

Rodrica said...

im finished with my writing one rough draft.

Anonymous said...

HEY HEY Mr.Siegmund its me cyndee and I have finished writting ass. one and I hope you love it as much as I do! Its under The other side of the story... thanks!

marquez said...

im finished with my paper on the puritans

Tara said...

I finished my Puritans paper.
Cheers, t

Tony said...

I have finished my paper on Puritans

marquez said...

I LOOKED OVER MY PURITANS PAPER AND MAKE THE CORRECTIONS. SO IM DONE

Christian said...

I am done with the Puritan project.

Courtney said...

Ive posted The Puritans.

^_^

Jenise Burgess said...

I have finished my Puritans paper.

Jenise Burgess said...

I have added more examples to my Purtians papper.

Courtney said...

I made changes to my Puritans paper.

^_^

Courtney said...

I made more changes to my paper.

^_^

ErinC said...

I have finished the puritans

Anna said...

im finished

Yesenia_Salazar said...

I have finished and published my Puritans assingment!

Yesenia_Salazar said...

Mr. Siegmund, I have now finished the Puritans assingment all the way!

Morrigan Macabre said...

i'm finished with my paper, it's on my blog.

Pavis! said...

I have posted my paper on PuritanRationalistStemcell Stuff.

Unknown said...

I finished the paper on the puritans.

Tipporah said...

I finished my paper, if I made any mistakes let me know. Thanks.

Vic said...

Finished

demetriusedwards said...

I have finished my paper on the puritans.

**Ms. Gomez** said...

I finished my paper on the Puritans..

*Autumn* said...

I have completed both the Rationalists and the Puritans assignments.

Victoria Slaboda said...

I posted my Puritans stuff.
I'm pretty sure it needs some serious help.
I'm willing to work on it.

Anonymous said...

i have completed my paper on the puritans.

Mercedes_Burriss said...

I am done with the Puritans part of the project Mr. Sieg!

Christy Whitley said...

I have finished the project on the Puritans!

ryan said...

i have finished my paper on the Puritans

Anonymous said...

i have finished my paper on The Puritans.

ryan said...

i have edited the puritans like you asked.

Johnathen Hall said...

im done with my writing two go look in your drop box

JoLynn Nelson said...

MKAY I FINSHED THE PURTAIN AND RATIONALIST...hehe..finally....=]

jasmineushistory said...

I have finshed my paper on Puritans.

laurababyyy said...

i finished the Puritans part of the lit project(:

Kylan Jones: Service Learning said...

I have finished the puritans project.

AnnahServiceLearningBlog said...

I have finishd the puritans, plz let me know if i did anything wrong.
Its on my blog

Deylah said...

I'm done with the Puritans section.

Unknown said...

I have finished my paper on the Puritans.

Laurel said...

I have finished the puritans.

Roberto said...

I am done with the book that I was reading I all ready put a. Post in my blogger