Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A Place on Earth by Wendell Berry pages 1-101

A friend gave me this book six or seven years ago, and I am just now getting to it.

Wendell Berry is a very detailed writer. He describes absolutely everything down to the smallest specification. This can get tedious at times, but for the most part I am enjoying this book.

It seems as though Berry wants to introduce readers to every single person living in Port William Kentucky, where the story takes place. It seems that every other chapter is about another person, and it is getting hard to keep them all straight. The novel is set in the 1940s during World War Two.

The main character is a man named Mat (with one "n") Feltner who has just recieved a telegram that his son is missing in action in Europe. I expect the rest of the novel to focus mote on Mat and his family, but the first one hundred pages seem to be more of an introduction. I still have more than four hundred to go.

No comments: