Sunday, November 26, 2006

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri pages 1-198



I keep a list of all the books I finish every year, and every year when I get to the end, I realize a read very few books written by women or people from other cultures. This year was the same, and that is why I bought this book.

I was wanting to read a novel, so I may not have chosen this book of short stories if I had not been in a hurry. I enjoyed Lahiri's stories better than most, though.

The best thing about reading literature from other cultures is what you learn about different people. Most of the characters in these stories are married couples, so you get to learn a lot about Indian marriage traditions through these stories. I was also exposed to other cultural elements like Indian clothing, jewelry, and food as well as their special significance.

I would reccomend this book to others.

No comments: