Monday, September 18, 2006

Transcendentalism


Opening: Call me over to your work area so you can answer the following questions.

a. What is original sin?
b. How did the Puritans feel about original sin?
c. How did the Rationalists differ from the Puritans?
d. What are the main themes of Romanticism? Georgia Performance Standard ELAALRL2 states that you should be able to identify themes and support them with evidence. I will expect that you can do this at this point.

That should have been easy.

Now we are going to investigate the central themes of another group of Romantics called the Transcendentalists.

You will continue to address the following Georgia Performance Standard:

ELAALRL2 The student identifies, analyzes, and applies knowledge of theme in a work of American literature and provides evidence from the work to support understanding.


Mini-Lesson:
By the mid-1800s, the United States was still in search of its literary identity. America had popular writers like Washington Irving, but they still did not have the heavy hitters to match up with some of Englands poets and essayists. The Unites States wanted to declare literary independence from Enlgand, much like the political separation that happened almost one hundred years earlier.

It was a good time for Americans to want to assert themselves in the literary world. Learning was very popular at the time. Most Americans wanted to improve their minds in one way or the other. Some of the most popular things to do were attending lectures on topics from astronomy to botany to physics to philosophy. Groups pushing for the abolition of slavery and increased rights for women were also forming during this time.

This strive for independence began for the most part during a hiking trip and dinner with a guestlist that would include some of the United States' most famous literary figures: Nethaniel Hawthorne, Herman Mellville, and Oliver Wendell Holmes. It was at this outing that these men decided that the United States should have writers as good as England's William Shakespeare, and that this would never happen unless they made an effort to do so. These men's dreams would soon be realized in two separate groups -- The Transcendentalists and the Dark Romantics, sometimes known as "anti-transcendentalists".

The Transcendentalists:

The Transcendentalists were Romantics who adopted philosophies from many other places and cultures. They believed that the individual human mind was one of the most powerful instruments in the world, and that the individual mind was connected to all others through what was known as the "oversoul", a collection of everyone's soul that we all share.

Transcendentalists believed that God spoke through people's minds and their hard work. Since they believed this, they also believed that every human was absolutely good and pure. They did not believe that the origianl sin committed by Adam and Eve made the rest of us sinners. Why would God communicate through an impure mind? They also believed that God could communicate to people through nature and a persons intuition.

Since God spoke through individuals, Transcendentalists did not belive that institutions like the governemnet or organized religion were effective. They believed that if a person was truly in touch with their surroundings, they could transcend these physical and man-made things to connect with God. The Transcendentalists' optimism and overall trust in the goodness of all people made them popular with outsiders who would often enjoy their lectures.

Please read the following (all of these can be found in the red anthology):

from "Nature" by Ralph Waldo Emerson
from "Self-Reliance" by Ralph Waldo Emerson


5. When you are through reading, post a 1-2 paragraph response to each piece of writing to your blog. Be sure to concentrate more on what you thought of each piece of writing. Try to include at least one piece of direct evidence with each response (remember standard #1). This should be something that stuck out to you about the particular piece of writing.

6. Next, write explain how each piece is a good example of Transcendentalism by identifying the central themes I described earlier in the post. Use what you read above, and prove that each piece is a good example with a paragraph supported with direct evidence (one paragraph each).


NEXT!!

Check this guy out. If you do not see the video here, you can find it in my assignments folder. I have called it Wilderness:

7. How can you apply Transcendental philosophy to the man in this video? I'm sure you could easily spend a couple paragraphs telling me how. I also know it would be easy for you to back up whatever you say with direct evidence from the texts you have already read. If you are really into it, you might read a little of Henry David Thoreau's Walden. Just choose a couple sections you think you would like.


Self-Evaluate Your Work!!

Once you are finished, leave me a comment so I know to view your work.




86 comments:

Natasha said...

I have finished Transcendentalism.

~Mrs. Nash~ said...

This Michelle I'm Done with Transcendentalism

Captain Jamal said...

I'm done with this.

atl_stud08 said...

Mr.Siegmund I'm finish with the Transcndentalism project,may I start the Dark Romanticism now or my NovaNet?

_--♥ Andrea ♥--_ said...

Hey mr siegmund im done with Transcendentalism!!

_--♥ Andrea ♥--_ said...

Hey mr siegmund im done with Transcendentalism!!

_--♥ Andrea ♥--_ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
_--♥ Andrea ♥--_ said...

I made my changes!!

Jesseca said...

i am finished with transcendentalism

OnlyLezM said...

I'm done

Jesseca said...

i have made my changes to transcendentalism go check it out.

kayla_pooh89 said...

i think im done with my transcendentalism!!!

dannygilham said...

Mr Siegmund im done wit my Transcendentalism !D.G!

jasmine said...

mr. siegmund im finish with transcendentalism, you can chech it now.

Caleb said...

I've finished with transcendentalism

spenser said...

i'm finished

anne of golden summer said...

i am done with this! read please thank you

julio said...

i'm dun Mr sigmund..... julio

Miaka Edwards said...

I finished my Transcendentalism paper. I really tried my best on it I hope I did it the right way.

Miaka Edwards said...

I finished my assignment on transcendentalism

Ben Joiner said...

I've posted my transcendentalist paper Mr. Seigmund. The repsonse for resisting a civil government comes two post before the rest of the paper, sorry.

julio said...

i fixed the imperfections you told me to do

Todd Roberts said...

I have finished Transcendentalism Mr. Sigmund, please check it out...

Amber Gaines said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chitara Long said...

Can you check my work and see if i did ok

Rodrica said...

I am finished with my Transcendentalism project Mr.Siegmund.

Todd Roberts said...

I added more to my paper on the Transcendentalist, check it out and let me know if it needs any more work.

raytron troy said...

I have finished my Transcendentalism

Todd Roberts said...

Yeh, my bad i saved it as a draft, it should be on my page now.

raytron troy said...

Im done with my transcendentalism

Chitara Long said...

I changed my writing

Amber Gaines said...

FINISHED!!!

Chitara Long said...

Check my work

Amber Gaines said...

I have re-done my Transcedentalist

Anna said...

im done

Anna said...

im done

Morrigan Macabre said...

i think i am done with my paper on this

Tony said...

i'm finished

Courtney said...

Finished.
Finally.

Pavis! said...

I think I am finished with Trancendentalism.

Tipporah said...

I'm done with this part of the project could you please check it. Thanks

*Autumn* said...

I have finished the Transcendentalism assignments

Vic said...

I'm finished with this project.

demetriusedwards said...

Im finished with transcendentalism.

Michelle Snavely said...

i am done with the first part of transcendentalism but i cant see the video in the second part so what do you want me to do
-michelle

ryan said...

im finished with transcendentalism.

JoLynn Nelson said...

I;m done with this lit project.

JoLynn Nelson said...

im finshed

jasmineushistory said...

Im finished with this assignment

AnnahServiceLearningBlog said...

I have finished transcendentalism...

laurababyyy said...

I'm done(:

kevant said...

I'm done kevan

Kylan Jones: Service Learning said...

I'm done with Transcendentalism

Deylah said...

Finished with Transcendentalism. :)

jaquanclark said...

just finished Transcendentalism check it out

Roberto said...

i am done with Transcendentalism

Laurel said...

I am done with this.

Roberto said...

i am done with Dark Romanticism

₪Tarawr ₪ Andrews₪ said...

Tarawr is totally done with the doodad. So she posted it on the thingy. She loves being indiscriptive. =D

Jim H. said...

I am done with unit 2.

carlos Baires said...

Im done with Unit-2

jazzy said...

jasmine hill i am done with unit 2

Sanetresa said...

Im Finished!!!

larquinton said...

I've Finished.....

Tia said...

im done with unit 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

larquinton said...

Finished..

kia said...

I have finished with Unit Two.

Anisha said...

Im Finish with unit 2

Johnathen Hall said...

im done !!!!!!

Roc said...

im done

swagger said...

im done

Jacquavious said...

I'm done with unit 2

kia said...

I added the material to my unit 2

Hillary said...

I finished

Kyle said...

Yo im done with unit 2 so yeah check it.....

Benito said...

I'm done

farrisd18 said...

Done

HTG said...

I'm done with Unit 2

Benito said...

im done

shuntavia said...

im finished

Benito said...

im done

Bryan said...

I'm bone wit unit two Mr.S

Jaquita Binns said...

I AM FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phil said...

Im done with Unit 2-phil

Red Steel said...

I am done with Unit 2.

Chancie said...

IM DONEEE